Friday, September 10, 2010

Barista, The Modern Bohemian


Lets call this a little bit of a teaser for a project I'll be working on for the next few months. I was a barista for many years and now I am fortunate enough to spend most of my days working with baristas and coffee industry professionals. Lately I've been thinking a lot about community and culture and I realized that there are a few communities out there that are almost completely filled with truly amazing people. The coffee community is a shining example in my humble opinion.

We are a vastly diverse collection of vagabonds united by an underlying sense of passion. We're almost all passionate about coffee but then many are artists, musicians, performers; many of us write or cook. We come from all racial backgrounds and sexual orientations, male, female; some are tattooed, some love pets. Still it all comes back to passion; we are the modern bohemian culture and for this we should be recognized and we should be proud.

I'm going to be researching and featuring the diversity of our community by taking a look at some of the most talented and fascinating baristas in town so that everyone knows, when they get their perfectly constructed latte, that the person crafting that drink is a professional and a unique and integral part of our budding coffee culture.

By the way... recognize that barista?

2 comments:

  1. I think that's a Lamplighter menu, so I'll guess the only barista I know there who isn't the owner.

    Alana: Cropped blond hair. Glasses.

    Unless it's the owner, in which case it's Noel?

    What do we win?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you can't guess and then re-guess with a deductive caveat followed by a question.

    The winner gets a cup of coffee on me, but someone already guessed it on twitter to @srbrtsn.

    For you, H to the izzo, I will consider arranging an amicable runner-up prize

    ReplyDelete